With the patronage of :
GOZO- Malta 29th July - 4th August 2019
The 8th OTIE Summer School “ISLANDS EVENTS MANAGEMENT” is an initiative of Observatory on tourism for Islands Economy (OTIE). One of the main goals of OTIE is to organise training seminars and courses giving the occasion to participants to know the tourism sector and to apply their knowledge in the development planning.
The main goals of the summer school are :
- Educating and training future tourism professionals;
- Encouraging the future creation of events as tourism products in worldwide islands;
- Creating new tourism products, especially events and festivals to shake off islands'associations with seaside tourism;
- Encouraging the development of different types of tourism to extend seasonality.
This year, the OTIE Summer School aims to create a real project to valorise and promote tourism in Islands .During the course we will tackle issues, analysis, considerations and case studies that make it even more practical to provide both knowledge and skills in the field of tourist events useful to the perfect conception, organisation and management of the same. The course plans to create a project work that will be proposed to local authorities and entrepreneurs for the implementation of the same. The project will be carried out using the marketing tools through 6 main steps which include:
- Identification of a reference public,
- The identification of the concept of the event,
- Location identification,
- Check of budget,
- Logistics planning,
- Coordination of all technical and productive aspects aimed at its implementation.
Student will also :
- Improve their skills and attitude on marketing
- Improve their English
- Join an international group of like-minded people from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds
- Work as a team to develop and launch their ideas as potential concrete initiative
- Gain an OTIE Training certificate.
The course plans to verify under what conditions an event can "really" trigger mechanisms of value creation determinants for local tourism development. In a perspective not only economic, but also cultural and social.
The call is addressed to graduated and undergraduated students in Tourism Science, Archeology, Cultural Heritage , Art History , Linguistic mediation, Communication Science, Historical studies, Antichity science , Tourism system and hospitality management , Economy and related.
The Summer School is dedicated to OTIE first Director Dr. Mario Frontoni, died in April 2011.